Hera Laboratories – Lexington, KY
Hera Biolabs provides transformational research models and specialized contract research services that are helping academic centers and pharmaceutical companies to drive advances in oncology. Our scientific expertise, project management excellence, and breakthrough testing platforms are enabling faster, higher-quality pre-clinical studies for the development of new cancer treatments, worldwide.
Successfully spun out of Transposagen, Inc., in 2015, Hera BioLabs is a privately-held company headquartered in Lexington, KY. As a fast-growing life sciences firm, we provide numerous developmental opportunities in the scientific, commercial, and management disciplines as we build and grow our team. At Hera, we enjoy the benefits of being in a fast-paced, customer-focused business which is set in a university town surrounded by beautiful horse country. With great schools, a low cost-of-living, exciting sports/attractions, and a plethora of dining options (Lexington has the most restaurants per capita of any city in the U.S.), Lexington and Hera together provide a great place to live and work.
The duties of the Research Associate are to be carried out with a professional, friendly, enthusiastic, can-do attitude. Commitment to the pursuit of excellence in areas including customer and vendor relations is of utmost importance.
The research associate is responsible for performing and overseeing tasks associated with all aspects of animal in-vivo research projects. Responsibilities include assisting with the day-to-day implementation of project preparations and procedures, and data analysis as tasked by the Study Manager. Strong communication skills are needed to successfully execute all duties and responsibilities of this evolving position in collaboration with the Vivarium Manager, Study Manager, and Senior Scientists. This position may require weekend or holiday work on a rotational or as needed basis.
Duties (include, but are not limited to):
- Execute and/or assist with in-vivo research projects including: surgeries, pre-op and post-operative care, necropsies, tissue collection, and sample collection in accordance with study design and regulating agency requirements.
- Conduct research technical duties including tumor cell subcutaneous inoculation, advanced dosing procedures (oral, intraperitoneal, subcutaneous, and intravenous), digital caliper measurement and blood and tissue collection.
- Maintain study information and data using software and databases (Excel, StudyLog, SoftMouse)
- Coordinate and communicate with technical staff to manage work assignment calendar.
- Conduct analytical sample evaluations.
- Perform administrative study duties to include: requisition of drug materials, supplies, and animals; document and record preparation; and facilitation and arrangement of all study needs.
- Communicate with current and potential clients.
- Assist with colony health, medical case management, and husbandry care, as needed. Assist senior scientists in writing protocols and reports and analyze data.
- Assist in assuring vivarium compliance with IACUC, IBC, ORI, OSHA, and OLAW requirements.
Reports to: Study Manager
Location: Lexington, KY
- BS/BA in Biology, Animal Sciences, Bioscience, Biotechnology, or a related field
- At least 3 years CRO (or comparable) experience with all phases of in vivo preclinical study
Preferred Qualifications, Skills and Abilities:
- LAT certification or greater than one year’s experience, highly desired
- Experience supervising and training lab personnel
- Advanced rodent surgery, dosing, and sampling techniques
- Track record of independent scientific investigation and the ability to make sound conclusions
- Experience managing multiple (2-4) studies simultaneously
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to self-start, follow through on tasks and meet deadlines with minimal supervision
- Work and communicate in a collaborative environment and take direction when necessary
- Ability to solve problems quickly and multi-task in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment
- Excellent organizational, communication and analytical skills
Position type: W-2
Wage: $35,000-40,000 per year
Equipment required: Cell phone, reliable transportation
Hera BioLabs offers a comprehensive benefits program including: paid vacation for sick and personal time, medical & dental. We are an equal opportunity employer. As an equal opportunity employer we do not unlawfully discriminate against any applicant because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, marital status, qualified veteran’s status, genetic condition or information, age, qualified physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other class protected by federal, state or local law.