Animal Care Technician
Hera Biolabs provides transformational research models and specialized contract research services that are helping academic centers and pharmaceutical companies to drive advances in oncology. Our scientific expertise, project management excellence, and breakthrough testing platforms are enabling faster, higher-quality pre-clinical studies for the development of new cancer treatments, worldwide.
Successfully spun out of Transposagen, Inc., in 2015, Hera BioLabs is a privately-held company headquartered in Lexington, KY. As a fast-growing life sciences firm, we provide numerous developmental opportunities in the scientific, commercial, and management disciplines as we build and grow our team. At Hera, we enjoy the benefits of being in a fast-paced, customer-focused business which is set in a university town surrounded by beautiful horse country. With great schools, a low cost-of-living, exciting sports/attractions, and a plethora of dining options (Lexington has the most restaurants per capita of any city in the U.S.), Lexington and Hera together provide a great place to live and work.
Hera Biolabs is seeking an animal technician to provide daily husbandry of laboratory animals to include health observations, handling and restraint, feeding and watering, changing cages, and sanitizing animal procedure rooms and equipment. These duties will be performed using autoclave, necropsy equipment, and laminar flow hoods.
Duties will progress to animal identification, breeding, collecting biological samples, and administering medications. The technician will assist researchers and veterinary staff as needed, working closely with the study manager, vivarium manager, senior scientists, and other animal technicians.
All assigned study procedures will be performed in accordance with good laboratory practice regulations and standard operating procedures. This position may require weekend or holiday work on a rotational or as needed basis.
Duties (include, but are not limited to):
- Follow all appropriate animal husbandry procedures as required for genetically modified animals for: animal observations, restraint, and room sanitation.
- Perform clinical and behavioral assessments and work closely with veterinary staff to resolve health issues.
- Collect fluid and tissue specimens.
- Assist in facility preparations for inspections.
- Maintain and document inventory of supplies, feed, waters, cage materials, and lab materials; assist with ordering when necessary.
- Assist with standard operating procedures preparation.
- Pack and receive shipped animals.
- Assist with surgeries and pre- and post-operative care.
- Assist in necropsy and health history assessments.
- Upon demonstration of proficiency, perform rodent dosing procedures by all common routes including oral, intraperitoneal, subcutaneous, and intravenous.
Reports to: Vivarium Manager Location: Lexington, KY
- BS/BA or AS/AA degree in Biology, Animal Sciences, or Veterinary Technology. Veterinary Assistant Certification may be considered
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
Preferred Qualifications, Skills and Abilities:
- Greater than six months CRO toxicology experience, or similar
- AALAS certification or eligibility
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to work and communicate in a fast paced, collaborative, dynamic environment
- Willingness to learn – and an interest in – the field of biomedical research.
- Ability to self-start, follow through on tasks, and meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
Position type: W-2
Hours per week: Part-time, 20 to 30 hours per week
Equipment required: Cell phone, reliable transportation
We are an equal opportunity employer. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not unlawfully discriminate against any applicant because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, marital status, qualified veteran’s status, genetic condition or information, age, qualified physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other class protected by federal, state or local law.